Preparing for the Real Ale Ride is as fun––and important—as the ride itself. Here’s everything you need to know to be ready on ride day.
Bicycle Sport Shop’s number one priority for all rides is safety. Due to the road conditions, and routes for the Real Ale Ride, we are limiting this ride to 2,250 participants. All riders must wear an assigned number bib to prove his/her registration. We go to great efforts to provide as much help as possible along all the routes with paid First Aid responders, volunteer corner marshals, SAG drivers, and Rest Stop crews. Bicycle Sport Shop can only be responsible to those who are registered with their assigned bib number.
The early bird cost is $65. Real Ale Ride registration fee includes a fully supported ride route, parking at the brewery, lunch, beer from Real Ale (or soda), live entertainment, brewery tours, ride t-shirt, and a whole lot of fun. Your registration fee also supports our ride beneficiary. Based on your feedback, we have included all costs in a single registration fee. You will not incur any additional administration fees at online registration.
$65.00 until February 28
$80.00 March 1-May 19
$90.00 on May 20 (RIDE DAY)
A small number of VIP packages are available for those looking for an extra fancy Real Ale Ride experience. VIPs will get a close parking space, a skip-the-line free 15-minute post-ride massage, and access to the VIP tent with seating, free breakfast and coffee, and bike parking. Packages are $250.
NOTE: If you are picking up a packet for a friend or family member you must bring a signed PPU Authorization form. Electronic copies of the consent form will not be accepted.
- Tuesday, May 16, 4 to 7 PM, Bicycle Sport Shop at 12005 Bee Cave Road, Austin, TX
- Wednesday, May 17, 4 to 7 PM, Bicycle Sport Shop at 9900 W. Parmer Lane, Austin, TX
- Thursday, May 18, 4 to 7 PM, Bicycle Sport Shop at 10947 Research Blvd., Austin, TX
- Friday, May 19, Noon to 7 PM, Bicycle Sport Shop at 517 S. Lamar Blvd., Austin, TX
- Saturday, May 20, 6:30 to 7:30 AM, Real Ale Brewing Company, 231 San Saba Ct, Blanco, TX
Mileage options include 15, 30, 50, 65, and 80 miles. See the 2017 route map>
- 6:30 AM- Parking and on-site registration opens at Real Ale Brewing Company
- 7:50 AM- On-site registration closes
- 8:00 AM- Riders depart in 10 minute waves starting with 80 milers
- 10:30 AM- Expo, food, and drink tents open
- 11:00 AM- Live music begins
- 3:30 PM- Venue closes
Food & Drink
Food will be provided by local Blanco restaurant, Old 300 BBQ. Meat and vegan options will be available
Real Ale Brewery
Since 1996, Real Ale Brewing Company has been brewing in Blanco, surrounded by the natural beauty of the Texas Hill Country. When you get to make beer in a place like this, you develop a greater appreciation for the simpler things in life — fresh air, wide-open spaces, and working with your hands. We’re proud to make beer with as little processing as possible. In addition to being unfiltered and unpasteurized, we never use preservatives or artificial colors. We start with water from the nearby Blanco River and the highest quality ingredients. Then we take the time to allow all the unique characteristics of the ingredients to shine. We believe doing less to the beer actually creates more complexity, aroma and flavor. Click here to learn more about the Real Ale Brewing Company.
Post-ride live entertainment will be provided. Music begins at 11 AM.
What to Bring
All Real Ale Ride cyclists are required to wear a helmet at all times when on their bike. In addition, riders will need
- A bicycle in good condition. (We recommend a pre-ride inspection at Bicycle Sport Shop.)
- Shoes, gloves, sunglasses, and other cycling accessories to make your ride more comfortable
- Tire change kit, including tubes and pump or CO2 cartridges
- Two water bottles or hydration pack
- Towel for post ride
- Lip balm
- Seating is limited at the brewery, so please also bring outdoor folding chairs for you and your guests if you have them.
Sorry, showers are not available.
Bonus Ride Items
2017 Real Ale Jersey and Pint Glasses are available for purchase in Registration.
FREE Bicycle Sport Shop Maintenance Classes
While the Real Ale Ride is fully supported by our experienced mechanics (our service department is an All-time Winner in the Austin Chronicle Readers Poll) there’s no better way to ensure you keep rolling than by learning a thing or two about your bike. Join one of our mechanic instructors for a free basic maintenance class this spring. In these one-hour classes, you’ll learn about:
- The essential bike inspection
- Wheel removal
- Flat repair
- Proper cleaning & lubrication
- Tools you’ll need for the ride
Whether this is your first ride or you’ve done this many times before, we want the Real Ale Ride to be as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. We think that begins with a bike that fits. Bicycle Sport Shop’s trained bike fit staff will take you through the process of a proper fit. After your session with one of our fit experts, you’ll have a clear understanding of how your body works on a bicycle and why a properly fit bicycle is so important to your riding experience. Call one of our stores to schedule a fit.
We recommend the official host hotel of the Real Ale Ride, the Best Western Plus Blanco Luxury Inn & Suites (830-833-5697). The service is friendly, the rooms are bright, clean, and new, and it’s just a short bike ride to the starting line at the brewery. Additional hotel information is available by clicking here.